[GFCA] judge paradigms - please update them

Jeffrey Miller jmill126 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:20:11 PST 2019

Hi fellow coaches,

It would be amazing if judges could have updated paradigms for this weekend
- I had planned on going through some paradigms today at practice but many
judges don't have answers to what debaters are taught to look for.

Other people can speak to policy and LD paradigms but since I coach PF - I
will say this about PF.  It would be great to know what judges expect in
debates, including:
- do you expect everything in the final focus to also be in the summary?
- do second speaking teams have to respond to the first rebuttal?
- do first speaking teams have to extend defense in the first summary?
- do you flow/judge off crossfire?
- do teams have to have more than one contention?
- does framework have to be read in the constructives?

There are probably more things you can say than this but these six
questions really guide how PF debaters make strategic decisions in the
debate.

And since many of our judges are new or are students, now would be a great
time for us coaches to ask our judges to update their paradigms.

thanks!
--
Jeffrey Miller
Marist School