[GFCA] Announcement regarding School of the Excellence Awards

Jeffrey Miller jmill126 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 12:09:08 PST 2017

Over the winter break, the GFCA Executive Committee voted on a proposal
that would impact the School of Excellence awards for 2016-2017.

Created in 2010 by Claude Robinson, a long time supporter of the GFCA, the
School of Excellence Awards recognize the programs qualifying the most
students based on their school size.    Originally, we had five
classifications that mirrored GHSA classifications.

The five classifications are named for five Hall of Fame coaches - Helen
McClellan of Bremen High School, Sandra Silvers of Calhoun High School, Ted
Wolf of North Springs High School, Philip Wertz of Thomas County Central
High School and Leslie Watkins of Brookwood High School.

We had not adjusted the classifications since their creation in 2010.  In
December, the GFCA Executive Committee unanimously voted to add a sixth
classification to accommodate a growing number of schools in our community.

We are proud to name the new division after GFCA Hall of Fame coach Martha
Dye of Lee County High School.  Ms. Dye was a debate coach in the state for
24 years and coached 7 state champion debate teams.  She was the 1984 GFCA
Debate Coach of the Year and fought for rural Georgia to have the best
educational opportunities in speech and debate.

The new breakdown for the divisions are as follows:

Helen McClellan School of Excellence (schools with fewer than 600 students)
Sandra Silvers School of Excellence (schools with 601-1200 students)
Ted Wolf School of Excellence (schools with 1201-1600 students)
Philip Wertz School of Excellence (schools with 1601-1900 students)
Martha Dye School of Excellence (schools with 1901-2200 students)
Leslie Watkins School of Excellence (schools with more than 2201 students).

In an effort to bring more awareness to this award,* we have revamped the
website's page dedicated to this award with more information and current
standings for the 2016-2017 awards
<http://www.gaspeechanddebate.org/schools-of-excellence/>*.  These awards
will be given out at the Varsity State Championships at Marist School
during the opening awards ceremony.

Thank you!

--
Jeffrey Miller