[GFCA] Fwd: Announcement of 2017-18 National High School Policy Debate Topic

Jeffrey Miller jmill126 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:13:11 PST 2017

Memorandum

To:                  State Speech and Debate Contacts

From:             James Weaver

Subject:        Announcement of 2017-18 National High School Policy Debate
Topic

Date:              January 10, 2017

Following

are the final results for the 2017-18 national high school policy debate
topic balloting. States, the District of Columbia, the National Speech and
Debate Association, National Debate Coaches Association and the National
Catholic Forensic League had the opportunity

to vote on the topic. Education Reform was chosen with 23 of the 36 votes
cast for the topic as shown below.

*Energy*

*Education Reform*

Alabama

California

Florida

Arkansas

Colorado

Hawaii

Georgia

Iowa

Louisiana

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Maryland

Minnesota

New

Hampshire

Kansas

Massachusetts

Michigan

Ohio

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

NDCA

Nevada

New

York

Oklahoma

Oregon

South

Dakota

Texas

Utah

Virginia

Washington

NCFL

NSDA

*Resolved:   The United States federal government should substantially
increase its funding and/or regulation of elementary and/or secondary
education in the United States.*

The 2017 Policy Debate Topic Selection Meeting

will be held in Orlando, Florida, August 4-6. Specific information
regarding lodging, travel arrangements and daily schedules will be sent to
your office at a later date. You may also check our Web site at:

http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/nfhs-cx-debate-topic-selection-meeting/
.

*2017-18 NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL POLICY DEBATE TOPIC*

*EDUCATION REFORM*

*Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially
increase its funding and/or regulation of elementary and/or secondary
education in the United States. *

United States students do not rank well compared to their peers from other
countries. Achievement gaps also exist between children from different
ethnic

groups and between affluent and low-income students. Are the schools at
fault or are other issues to blame? What changes in funding, regulations,
standards, or support for our schools will bring better results? Do we need
more teachers, higher teacher pay,

uniform teacher standards, and/or smaller class sizes? Will more money for
technology improve teaching? Do we need more flexibility to employ and
develop different types of schools? Do we need more flexibility within our
public schools? What will bring up

graduation rates and help United States students compete internationally?
How can we prepare and train the future United States workforce? This
resolution will provide a balanced field to discuss these important
education issues. The affirmative teams will

have the ability to critically examine everything from charter schools to
online programs to for-profit schools. There is flexibility to argue for or
against K-12 in traditional schools versus more specialized schools. Each
area of the country has substantially

different standards and rules. This topic allows students to examine those
differences and how the federal government can improve education across the
board. Negative ground includes arguments from traditional policy options
such as federalism, States CP,

other agent counterplans, solvency deficits as to whether the affirmative
is affecting a large enough scope to solve, spending DAs, politics
scenarios, etc. Critical literature is also applicable to the wide variety
of presumptions within our government and

education systems.

*Angela Hays*

Assistant to the Director of Performing Arts and Sports

National Federation of State High School Associations

PO Box 690 | Indianapolis, IN 46206

(317) 972-6900

[image: NFHS Small Logo color]

--