[GFCA] Information about the 2018 Digital Debate Camp

William Hays Watson whwatson at gmail.com
Thu May 31 07:16:50 PDT 2018

Hello,

Now entering its 9th year, the Digital Debate Camp sponsored by Georgia
Debate Union is now open for registration to debaters of all experience
levels. The Digital Debate Camp is an online camp that aims to replace the
pedagogical function of the traditional camp structure by utilizing online
education strategies. We operate the same way any other camp does, but
without the bulky overhead of having to rent our rooms on a college campus.
Students will listen to lectures, chat with other campers, have access to
extended 1-on-1 sessions with instructors, produce their own research,
explore the topic, and otherwise enjoy all of the pedagogical benefits of a
traditional debate camp. We maintain a dropbox full of files, lectures, and
activities that students will continue to access even after camp ends.

While we can't quite recreate the special feeling of a summer immersed in
debate surrounded by peers, we also know that access to a traditional camp
is often far outside the means of most debaters. Because we can sidestep
the fixed costs of housing etc. the Digital Debate Camp is priced at a
modest $400. In addition, we heavily privilege accessibility and towards
that end maintain an aggressive aid program with an enormous success rate.

Our camp is quite long - we run from June 1st to August 1st. Furthermore,
we offer more 1-on-1 instruction than any other camp I know. Our
instructors offer dozens of office hours a piece each week, ensuring
someone will always be available when you are for practice speeches,
argument development, file critique, or whatever else you may want out of
an instructor.

We instruct LD, PF, and Policy debate. We are also specially attuned to
novice debate, from middle school on up.

You can find out more at our new, updated website: www.digitaldebatecamp.com

If you have any questions, please send them to the DDC Director of Debate,
Steven Murray, at steven.murrayR[at]gmail[dot]com.