[GFCA] Big Questions Debates

Pam Childress pchildress at gocats.org
Tue Oct 18 12:11:12 PDT 2016

Good afternoon coaches,

I wanted to make sure that all were aware of the grants available for the
Big Questions Debates through the NSDA.
https://www.speechanddebate.org/big-questions/
<https://www.speechanddebate.org/big-questions/>

Even if you do not host a tournament, you can host a Big Questions Debate
at your school with just your students.  At my tournament this last weekend
most of my junior and senior IB students competed (47 kids).  The BQD
aligns very nicely with the curriculum of the Theory of Knowledge course
and also works very well with the AP Seminars.  Think outside of the debate
classroom to get competitors - what is fun is that it also becomes a
recruiting tool (many of those who competed this last weekend are now
wanting to join the team and compete - so score!)

The award amounts are tiered according to the number of entries so try to
get as many entries as you can.  You could even run it as a debate class
tournament with your varsity members judging the novice members - as long
as you have at least 15 competing for the smallest reward size.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with your
application.  And I now have several BQD competitors looking for a place to
compete (as long as you don't require an overnight stay!).

Pam
Pamela Childress
Valdosta High School - English
Debate & Speech Coach