[GFCA] Middle school counts as policy experience in other state tourneys

Lane Bearden beardenlaw at aol.com
Tue Sep 1 14:10:00 PDT 2015

As a former middle school debate coach, I am disappointed to see that some policy debate tourneys in other states are now counting middle school experience the same as prior high school competition for the purposes of qualifying for novice or JV competition. For example, a child with two years of middle school debate experience, including some 8th graders and freshman, would have to compete against high school varsity teams at those tourneys. I think this is obviously a serious disadvantage to the Georgia debaters that gained a little beginning experience through Emory's outstanding middle school program. No solutions suggested, I guess, but I would encourage those of you with friends who administer these tourneys to ask them to re-think what essentially disqualifies many Georgia novices from competing at their tourneys. Only effects one of my younger teams this year, but if this is a trend it might change the way we do things in Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone