[GFCA] Thank You and Spring Meeting

Mario Herrera rioherrera at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 08:34:08 PST 2018

Thanks to all of you who attended the Varsity State Championships this past
weekend at Lassiter HS. It was wonderful seeing you and your students. I
hope you had an enjoyable experience.

*POLICY DEBATE*

For Policy Debate, the competition went on through Sunday Morning. Since
most were not there, I would like to announce that Woodward Academy closed
out Policy Debate finals! Congrats to Woodward and to semifinalist teams
from Chattahoochee HS and Pace Academy

*THANK YOU!*

A special "thank you" to Dr. Walter Cotter, the Lassiter High School team
and student volunteers, faculty volunteers and the Lassiter administration
for hosting such a huge undertaking. Your hospitality and hard work is
greatly appreciated.

I also want to thank Richard Bracknell and the Carrollton High School and
Middle School for, once again, hosting a fantastic tournament for our
First/Second Year Tournament in February. Carrollton is always a great
place to be for competition, and this year was no different. Thank you for
everything!

Also, I neglected to thank Laura LaChapelle of Jackson HS for all of her
hard work on trophy orders and set-up at the State Tournaments. Thanks,
Laura! And thanks to Lauren Donnenfeld of Alpharetta for helping pass out
awards on Saturday night. And, of course, a HUGE thank you to all those
involved with the inner-workings of the tournament: Adam Smiley of
Alpharetta HS, James Brock of Houston County HS, Shunta Jordan of Pace
Academy, Garrett Abelkop of Chattahoochee HS, Ricardo Saenz, Pam Childress
of Valdosta HS, Richard Bracknell of Carrollton HS, Mary Kay Waterman of
the Lovett School, Ed Williams of Pace Academy and Jamie Wills of Cherokee
HS, Katie Walker of Warner Robins HS and Director of Operations Robert
Walker for all of their hard work! I know many coaches also helped out
throughout the tournaments as well. Putting on these tournaments is a team
effort, and I am thrilled that so many stepped up to help and problem
solve. It was a great experience.

*SETTINGS ERROR*

I want to be sure that everyone knows of a settings error in tabroom.com
that was noticed moments after the Awards Ceremony on Saturday night.  The
settings were set to a formula different from state rules. Changing the
settings to reflect state rules did change some results. I have been in
contact with the schools and students impacted by the change. During those
conversations/emails, I have been reminded what a strong, caring and
understanding community we have. The error has been corrected and the
correct placements in all events are currently available in tabroom.com.

*SPRING MEETING*

The Spring meeting will be held on April 21st, 2018, at Grady HS,
tentatively scheduled to start at 9am. Detailed information is forthcoming,
but I would like you to reserve the date. Historically, the Spring meeting
is not as well attended as the Fall Meeting. I would ask that coaches
consider attending. We will address rules, bylaws, and work to problem
solve an issues that should be addressed. YOUR VOICE MATTERS. While there
are varying points-of-view among coaches, we are stronger when we work
together. To that end, if you have any issues or have
amendments/changes/additions/deletions to the bylaws, please send those
proposals and ideas to both myself and Pam Childress of Valdosta HS. We
have a Google Doc that we will share the weekend before the meeting so we
can start discussion on the issues. Let me know if you have any questions.

*GOOD LUCK!*

The University of Georgia, Woodward Academy, Marist School and Warner
Robins HS all have competitions for varying events coming up. We wish you
the best as you host your tournaments!

Thanks again,

Mario Herrera
GFCA Executive Board Chair