[GFCA] Thanksgiving

Mario Herrera rioherrera at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 07:49:09 PST 2017

Before everyone heads to Thanksgiving Break I want to thank you all for
your dedication and hard work.

Teaching is not an easy job. Then to agree to coach an activity that
lengthens the school day and eats away at weekends, well, it is a
remarkable feat. Some coaches have been coaching for a while, others
starting to find their path. In all cases, and with all coaches, the job is
grueling.

Thank you for giving opportunities to young people and believing in them.
Thank you for sharing your time and talents not only with your school but
with this community as well. Thank you for your smiles, laughter, jokes,
stories and positive energy.

We are a community, ultimately, of volunteers. Some receive compensation,
others do not. Even those who do receive compensation, it is a pittance
compared to the time given to the activity. Not every agrees with each
other; some find fault and some may be angry. But I believe that differing
opinions and ideas make us stronger. Our community is strongest when we
communicate with each other, listen to varying opinions, voice our concerns
and celebrate our accomplishments. It is our job to model the behavior we
want to see in our students. I believe the GFCA can be a platform to
accomplish such a goal.

Have a peaceful holiday with family and friends, and thank you for all that
you do.

Mario Herrera
GFCA Chair