[GFCA] LD and Policy Debate

Mario Herrera rioherrera at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 06:10:41 PDT 2017

Good morning, all

A reminder to all schools that invitational tournaments utilize the
September/October topic for all divisions of Lincoln-Douglas Debate. The
topic is *Resolved: In the United States, national service ought to be
compulsory.* Traditionally we have not used the novice topic provided by
the National Speech and Debate Association. Ultimately, invitational
tournaments have discretion in regards to what they offer. The expectation
has always been to utilize the September/October topic

Additionally, below you will find the five problem areas and possible
Policy Debate topics for the 2018-2019 school year. I have attached a short
analysis for each area as provided by the National Federation of High
Schools. We will vote of October 9. Voting will be open to all members of
the GFCA. However, if teams intend to vote who do not have active policy
teams, I HIGHLY encourage you to reach out to policy programs and ask
questions and have conversations.

*PROBLEM AREA I: **PRESIDENTIAL AUTHORITY*

*Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce
the authority of the President of the United States in one or more of the
following areas: weapons of mass destruction, immigration, indefinite
detention.*

*PROBLEM AREA II: **POVERTY*

*Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially
increase funding and/or eligibility for one of the more of the following:
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance
Program, Medicaid enrollment, Housing Choice Vouchers Program.*

*PROBLEM AREA III: **IMMIGRATION*

*Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce
its restrictions on legal immigration to the United States.*

*PROBLEM AREA IV: **FOOD SECURITY*

*Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially
increase its regulation of one or more of the following in the United
States: genetically modified foods, biofuels, pesticides, concentrated
animal feeding operations, crop insurance.*

*PROBLEM AREA V: **SUPREME COURT*

*Resolved: The Supreme Court of the United States should overrule one of
the following decisions: *

*·        Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc.,
467 U.S. 837 (1984)*

*·        Hamdi v. Rumsfeld 542 U.S. 507 (2004)*

*·        Kelo v. City of New London 545 U.S. 469 (2005)*

*·        Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission 558 U.S. 310
(2010)*

*·        Shelby County v. Holder 570 U.S. 2 (2013). *

Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions.

Mario Herrera